Adam Van TuylDepartment of Mathematics and Statistics
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Sabbatical Activities (2022-23)
I was on sabbatical from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023. You can see what I did below.
M2@CSE (Cleveland, Ohio)
- I attended the Macaulay2 Conference at Cleveland State University.
The conference was the last weekend of May 2022 (a pre-sabbatical trip!).
Here's a group photo:
- I attended and gave a talk in the
International Conference on
Enumerative Combinatorics and Applications. This
conference was held from September 6-7. You can watch the
McMaster University (Hamilton, Ontario)
- I gave a talk in our weekly Algebra and Algebraic Geometry Seminar in September.
Calvin Univeristy (Grand Rapids, Michigan)
- I visited Calvin University to give a talk in their biweekly colloquium for undergraduate students. The talk was on September 29, 2022.
- Rather than travel during October and December, I had colleagues visit me! The visitors included Jen Biermann, Enrico Carlini, and Stefano Canino, and resulted in some new projects. Look for them next year.
- I attended the mini-workshop Subvarieties in Projective Spaces and Their Projections at the MFO from Nov 27 to Dec. 3. Here's a group photo
- I attended the Joint Mathematics Meeting in Boston, MA from
Jan. 3-6, 2023. While there, I gave a
talk in the Special Session on Topological
and Combinatorial Methods in Commutative Algebra.
Here's a photo with me and some of my former post-docs (F. Galetto, J. Biermann, and J. Yang):
While at the meeting, Tai Ha and I re-created a picture of us from 1999 and 2014
Combinatorial Algebra meets Algebraic Combinatorics (Waterloo, ON)
- I attended the Combinatorial Algebra meets
Algebraic Combinatorics annual meeting, which was held in Waterloo this year.
Here's a photo of some of the current and past members of the McMaster Combinatorial Algebraic Geometry group that were at this meeting:
And here's a group photo of the conference:
- More colleagues came to visit in January, including Jen Biermann, Elisa Gorla, Brian Harbourne, and Selvi Kara.
I was a co-organizer of the workshop
Interactions between topological combinatorics
and combinatorial commutative algebra in Banff in April 2023.
Here is is a group photo:
And here is my research group during the workshop (A. Dochtermann, J. Schweig, R. Woodroofe, L. Dao, and me!):
Tulane University (New Orleans, LA)
- I visited Tulane University to give a talk in their biweekly
colloquium. The talk was on April 13, 2023.
While at Tulane, I worked with Tai Ha. Here we are at a Tulane landmark:
Fields Institute (Toronto, ON)
- I attended the
Workshop on Lefschetz Properties in Algebra, Geometry, Topology and Combinatorics which was held at the Fields Institute
on May 15-19, 2023.
Here's a group photo of the conference:
And here's my research group from the conference (L. Nicklasson, T. Holleben, me, S. Faridi, S. Cooper)
- My sabbatical is now over as of July 1, 2023. Overall, it was very productive with seven projects finished, and lots of new ideas for going forward. A highlight of
the sabbatical was having three of my students graduate finish their degrees!